Re: [RFI] Cree LED Light Bulb

To: "'Charlie Gallo'" <Charlie@TheGallos.com>, Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Cree LED Light Bulb
From: "EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 19:25:06 +0000
I have to admit my experience with CFL bulbs has been very limited until the
last few years.  So I might be and probably am missing something in this
discussion.

No one seems to be accounting for the heat generated by the ballast base of a
CFL bulb where there is usually a small circuit housed inside.  This may even
vary for each manufacturer.

2 things I haven't pinned down yet:
What is the normal amount of heat generated by the ballast of CFLs?
Is ballast heat included on the CFL wattage rating?

I have heard some CFLs have warnings they should not be used inside enclosed
fixtures (open fixtures only), and others warn against using them mounted
upside down.  I assume this is due to ballast heat.  But I could be wrong.

73, de ed -K0iL