Re: [RFI] Cree LED Light Bulb

To: "rfi@contesting.com Reflector" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Cree LED Light Bulb
From: "qrv@kd4e.com" <qrv@kd4e.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 22:17:55 -0400
Be sure to buy decent quality LED bulbs.

I tried some Titan 7-LED bulbs & they all failed quickly - some
within a week and others within a month or so - I did get a refund.

I'm guessing it was poor quality control at the factory & imagine
they are either out of business or else fixed the problem.

They were new to market at the time.

David KD4E

I've had several modern day CFL's fail.  Just the other day one in
the basement which is on 24/7 went out.  I thought I had a bad socket
as I unscrewed the light and back in again, it started up on for a
few seconds but then went out.  I changed out the CFL with another
CFL, same size and it's still working.  The CFL's that have failed
have signs of overheating even though I have them in well vented
fixtures.  A couple of the failed CFL's developed loose glass, but
weren't cracked just loose.  I also dissected one too, curious what's
inside.  I found an IC, some resistors and capacitors mounted on a
PWB.  I have not noticed any RF noise from any CFL and we have quite
a few around the house.  I must say it takes a couple years for them
to fail and several are on all the time.  I have two in the shack in
Luxo bench lamps, well vented at the top.  They are inexpensive and
I'll continue to use CFL's until something better comes along for
about the same cost.

If I recall, the mfg of one brand of CFL stated that they should be
used in an upright configuration, I take it to mean the heat will
rise away from the electronic pod below the glass. Maybe makes sense,
but in my use most of the CFL's are upside down so any heat generated
from the glass will go into and around the electronic pod base,
perhaps shortening it's life, just a guess.

Dale, k9vuj

--

David Colburn, KD4E - Nevils, Georgia USA

Safe & Secure Search Engine: duckduckgo.com