Re: [RFI] Cree LED Light Bulb

To: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Cree LED Light Bulb
From: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 11:39:58 -0500
On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> That's interesting as in their on-line FAQ, Cree says they approve of
> installation in can fixtures. We've had 42 W CFLs in there for the last 8
> years and never seen evidence of overheating. However, the light is cycled a
> lot and I suspect the failures we've seen are related to that. Cree again
> states that power cycling is harmless to their LED bulb. I guess I'll get to
> find out!

Lumens, gentlemen, please!  IMHO, bulbs should also receive a rating
based on how much heat they generate.  Clearly, there is a difference
in the heat output of an Edison bulb that consumes 60 W of power and a
CFL that puts out the equivalent light (at considerably less power
consumption).

I've got a CFL in my bathroom can fixture (bathroom?  can?  hmm) and
never had a problem.  In fact, until just now, I've never given it a
thought.  As best I can remember, we installed it 8 years ago when we
moved in and have never changed it.

I neither know the lumens nor how much power it consumes let alone how
many Joules of heat it generates.