Re: [RFI] Electric Fence pulsing (will get worse soon !)

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Electric Fence pulsing (will get worse soon !)
From: "Chris L. Parker" <parker601@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 08:31:20 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Hello Mike,

I recently resolved an electric fence problem working alongside the local
electric company RFI Investigator.

What you describe are classic electric fence symptoms.

You may find the article "Electric Fence Interference--A Case History" in the
April 1996 issue of QST magazine (Pg. 62-64) by Ed Hare KA1CV useful.

Some things to check:

1. Proper grounding of the ground side of the controller (this should be a good
"Tesla" RF ground, not just one ground rod, see the controller installation
instructions for more information)
2. Closures, i.e. gates, where the hot wires connect from one side to another
with a spring or tensioned clip can be problematic
3. Suspect insulators on the fence posts (we didn't find any, if newer, they
are fairly robust)
4. Foliage, plants, tall grass, or anything conductive touching the lower wires
creating an arc or path to ground
5. Loose or corroded connections in the fence wire

The use of a portable AM radio, VHF radio with a directional antenna, or
ultrasonic detector will help identify the portions of the fence causing the
arcing. Usually, the majority of the fence run is "clean."

No arc, no spark, and usually no noise.

Hope this helps.

Chris
AF6PX