Re: [RFI] Electric Fence pulsing (will get worse soon !)

To: Mike Smith VE9AA <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Electric Fence pulsing (will get worse soon !)
From: dalej <dj2001x@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 18:42:19 -0500
Mike,

I just did a quick search, there's probably more info out there, but came up
with this:

<http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/livestock/production/beef/everything-you-need-to-know-about-electric-fencing.html>

Always a good idea to study up a bit on what you're up against.

Dale, K9VUJ

On 09, Jul 2015, at 18:22, Mike Smith VE9AA <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

One further question.  The QRM pulses have got louder but I can't confirm
whether the new section of fencing adjacent to my land is on line or not. I
think perhaps it's an intermediate section but not the section closest to my
land.
I tried touching it with the back of my hand (gingerly!) but was wearing
sneakers, standing on thick grass and nothing, nada, zip, zilch, not a
tingle.  I tried putting an AM radio up there and can hear it, but it's no
louder 10' away than it is 1" away from the wire-rope.

My question is: Do the large, white, rope-type wires of electric fences
"FLOAT" in the insulators?

My neighbour put the rope down through the split in a large plastic coated
eyebolt type of insulator, but then proceeded to put a wrap and a half
VERRRRY tightly around what I would call the shank of the plastic coated
eyebolt making it so the wire was maybe 3/8ths-1/2" away from the new cedar
post he was mounting the ropes on. The shank has little platters/Frisbees on
it, much like a dipole egg insulator.  Whether he thought it, or someone
told him, I envision he just thought they were to hold rope.  The rope is
really close to new 4' cedar posts now.  I think a toddler would be able to
do a Nick Wallenda across these 6 acres of ropes.

I thought rope type 'floated'?  I don't wish to pee off my neighbour by
challenging his install methods as I know sometimes you only get one crack
(two at the most) before neighbours run out of patience and send you on your
way and never allow you back on their land.

I thought perhaps if I could somehow 'prove' to him his fence was arcing or
otherwise not providing much voltage (losing it all through the very close
cedar posts and tall grass) my word would be worth more and I would actually
be HELPING him keep his expensive Clydesdales in.  Help him...help me.  I am
thinking of buying one of those multi-voltage HV fence testers and seeing
how much the voltage spikes were.  IE: If it showed 100v or 1000v, I could
then demonstrate he's way way below what would keep these giant horses in
and would then perhaps listen to my other suggestions.

Words of sage advice?

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey
Keswick Ridge, NB