Re: [RFI] HF Handy Talkie for RFI Detection?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] HF Handy Talkie for RFI Detection?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 20:06:53 -0800
On Fri,2/5/2016 6:52 PM, Tony wrote:
All:

I've had an RFI issue coming from a specific direction for several years. It's a unique noise that appears on several HF bands which is usually a couple of S-units above the noise i.e., just enough to cover weak signals in that direction.

I thought I could use a VHF / UHF radio to pinpoint the source, but I'm not able to hear it on my all-mode VHF/UHF home station with Yagi antennas.

The ideal setup might be a portable HF radio which can tune the same frequencies that are susceptible to the noise. Something small enough to carry and use with a portable HF loop.

I was thinking about a Kenwood TH-F6A that has HF SSB / CW coverage, but I'm told the receiver isn't very sensitive; even with an external antenna.

I'm the source of that comment about the TH-F6A. I find it useful when I'm very close to the source; a more sensitive RX is useful to get you close. The Tecsun PL660 and PL880 are pretty sensitive, cover LF, MF, and HF, FM broadcast, and the AM aeronautical band above the FM band. Quite useful.

Both the TH-F6A and Kenwood TM-V71A (the VHF/UHF mobile rig) have lots of memories that can be programmed from a computer serial port. I own both, and have both programmed for AM around 160 MHz, 300 MHz, 400 MHz, and 550 MHz. I search for power line noise by driving around monitoring 160 MHz, then switch to the higher frequencies when I get close. Then I get out of the car with the talkie; holding it close to my chest to make it directional. This method does NOT work for electronic noise.

BTW -- does the Archive Search function no longer work on this reflector? ALL of this has been posted several times.

73, Jim K9YC