Re: [RFI] HF Handy Talkie for RFI Detection?

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] HF Handy Talkie for RFI Detection?
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2016 09:10:58 -0800
On 6 Feb 2016 at 15:38, David Robbins wrote:

> For tracking on foot I use a Grundig G5.  Its reasonable sensitive even with
> its
> built in antennas, and has a jack for an external antenna.  The internal
> antenna
> has a nice null so you can just swing it around and get rough bearings.

I hope that everyone here is fully aware that any portable radio which has a
built-in loop-stick type of antenna exhibits MARKED directional capabilities.

The common loop-stick antenna is, essentially, a minature loaded loop
antenna with very deep nulls broadside to the loop.

If you must, you can open up the radio in order to determine the orientation
of that loop-stick within the radio, then as David pointed out, all you have to
do is to rotate the entire radio to determine a direction to a noise-source.

Ken W7EKB