Re: [RFI] House Ground

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] House Ground
From: Cortland Richmond <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 12:13:29 -0400
On 3/16/2016 2:24 AM, Robert Nobis wrote:
Many modern, small profile, PCs have a built in power supply (switching) and are connected to
the AC mains with a two wire cord/plug, without a “green wire”. My iMac and
MacMini are like this as is my Microsoft Surface Pro 3.   Per your step two, should these
types of computers also be bonded to the radio with a heavy short braid?

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance_classes#Class_II

My Surface Pro uses a double insulated, external power supply with a number of agency safety marks. Bypassing double insulation with an external ground wire is a bad idea, as that protection is also bypassed. It can also increase radio interference. Does this mean we can't filter signals going into and out of such equipment? No it doesn't. We have to ensure that the signals we want to filter are also insulated to the same degree as the equipment is.

Cortland Richmond
KA5S