Re: [RFI] MFJ 5008 ultrasonic receiver

To: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] MFJ 5008 ultrasonic receiver
From: HankP <pfizenmayer@q.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 14:46:04 -0400 (EDT)
Bob -- I built the ULAD that was in QST some years ago and bought a parabolic
reflector from Edmunds --I can hear birds - crickets my steps walking down the
alley - two finger rubbed together at 200 feet - the wind blowing if any wind -
in all the time I have had it I have been able to identify 1 piece of hardware
on a pole . BTW I fiddled with a couple other 40KHZ rx approaches - but
essentially same results.

The APS RFI guys have the RADAR ENGINEERING ultrasonic receivers and they are
very marginally better than my homebrew.

They have a receiver now that is very effective - They can record the waveform
of the noise you hear - (they prefer to record from your antenna ) then go in
search of that matching waveform. If I was going to spend any serious dollars
on finding powerline arcing - I would do someting that duplicates that ability
.

I have tuned loops - and an ICOM R10 rx which is pretty effective but nowhere
near as good as the APS receiver . Have you looked at W0IVJ's VDSL recording
with a SDR -- that plus some way to record the waveform would be great .

73 Hank K7HP