Re: [RFI] Noise - where do I start?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise - where do I start?
From: Patrick Dyer <pjdyer@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 07:49:58 -0600
To reinforce the "check-home-first" strategy a slightly-embarrassing tale from here in late December 2012.

I suddenly had a very strong "hung-arc" noise thru 144-MHz one morning that sounded like the return of some never-located RFI from early 2008.

So with that in mind I got the 4-el 2-m RDF Yagi (part of an old 11-e Cushcraft) connected to my IC-4A (which goes to 136-MHz) and took some bearings.

It didn't peak west (where the 2008 RFI had), but after several bearings made in the front and back yards it seemed to be coming from my house. I pulled the main breaker and it quit. Then it was on the individual circuit breakers.

That isolated it to the lines feeding the "radio room" itself. With some fear that it might be some in-wall wiring problem (place was built in 1971) I started turning off equipment. I finally touched an antenna rotator box (for TV-FM antennas) and it quit. This had all taken the better part of an hour to locate an RFI source that was literally only inches from my face!
http://www.qsl.net/w/wa5iyx/fmdx2012.htm (near bottom).

Pat - WA5IYX
http://www.qsl.net/wa5iyx/index.html