Re: [RFI] Noise - where do I start?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise - where do I start?
From: "Frank N. Haas KB4T" <utility.rfi.pro@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 22:17:32 -0400
Questions of greater importance:

1.  Is the affected party equipped to do a search that will produce useful
results? A battery operated AM-FM-SW-VHF receiver with a useful signal
strength indicator and a directional antenna suitable for a walking search
that heats fairly well at the highest relevant frequency is essential. (My
personal choice is the Radar Engineers collection but for hams I recommend
the Tecsun PL660SLV available from Amazon or eBay for $85 to $150.)

2.  Does the searcher have an open mind? This kind of search is not an
eyeball search until the structure containing the source is located...and
even then, equipment must still be relied upon to pinpoint the source. By
open mind, I mean a willingness to trust the equipment and not waste time
guessing or deviating from the search path to pursue something seen or
guessed.

3.  Does the searcher know how to direction-find? The type of power
distribution facilities in the area is irrelevant at this point. Finding
the structure that contains the source is the only objective. Only by
trusting your equipment and using it correctly to lead you to the source
will the job get done with a minimum of wasted time and effort.

4.   Has the searcher done enough listening and record keeping to have a
good idea when the source is active, the best (highest?) frequency at which
to listen to hear and track the source and decide what tools are best to
locate the source? (Receiver, antenna, attenuator)

I do this for a living so for me time is money. Everything I do is done for
a good reason or I'm wasting time and money. Efficiency demands that every
part of the process have a useful purpose.

Hams and enthusiasts use these situations as learning experiences so extra
steps and experiments are often included. Lessons learned and experience
gained justify such steps. I still think that every step should be
evaluated to determine the value it will add to the process. At each point
along the way, the question that should be asked is, "How will this help me
pinpoint the source?" If a good answer can't be found, abandon that step or
option and move on to what will help.

Hunting interference need not be complicated. In fact it's a pretty simple
process. One located it can be complicated to correct or eliminate but
that's another subject entirely.

Stepping off my soapbox now.

73,

FranK N Haas KB4T