Re: [RFI] Noise - where do I start?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise - where do I start?
From: Dave Cole <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 03:38:04 -0700
On Mon, 2016-09-26 at 07:29 +0000, Hare, Ed  W1RFI wrote:
> We also hear from hams who before calling us have made up their minds
> that the noise they are hearing must be power-line noise, and so are
> not open-minded even about the process of beginning their
> investigation by turning off the power to their own house.

Evidently, this is not uncommon at all!  I worked with a fellow here in
Eugene who had some really serious RFI on 75 Meters, (20 db over S9),
for something like 10 years.  He had always assumed it was the power
lines, and told me so when I arrived.  He lived next to one of the large
long distance transmission ones...

In the first 10 minutes, of the visit we did a house power off test,
(after he said it would not matter), and the RFI ended...  Tracked it to
a touch lamp after that...

A very sad story-- he was in his 70s, and he literately lost almost a
decade of use of 75 meters, due to his mindset.

I started a personnel rule that day...  I will not do RFI hunting for
anyone, (including myself), no matter what, until I see a power off
test, for every event I work on.

That was years ago, but I still remember it...  Over the years, I have
saved countless hours of time by enforcing that rule...

What surprised me about Ed's post is how common this seems to be...

--
73's, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)