Re: [RFI] Station ground - more

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Station ground - more
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 10:34:55 -0700
On 28 Sep 2016 at 10:19, Jim Brown wrote:

> He's partly right and partly wrong. Under the current NEC, you MUST
> carry ground from the main panel.

Done.

> of every electrical enclosure) ANYWHERE in the building. Fundamental
> rule -- you can have as many grounds as you like, but they MUST all be
> bonded together.

Which makes complete sense to me and always has.

> > So, why the apparent discrepancy?
>
> He is ignorant of the code. Not all that uncommon -- electricians
> sometimes get to be inspectors by longevity as electricians, or through
> "connections" within the industry.

Makes sense.

> The earth is NOT a sump into which hum, buzz, and RF is poured.

Yes. I have read your info and have always understood that.

However, I have run into at least one instance where a "ground" wire (which was
connected
to a PLASTIC water pipe !!!!) was resonant at 40 meters and when I finally
found this idiocy,
disconnected that wire, ran a much shorter wire to a PROPER ground system (3
rods as
previously described) the RFI I had been experiencing was gone.

However, I am now experiencing more RFI in the new addition, and I suspect that
this long
connection between the sub-panel and the main panel may be contributing to this
issue.

A contributing issue is, of course, that my only present antenna is a vertical
mounted within
less than 10 feet from the new addition, and that I am often running a kW
output.

> connection to earth matters ONLY for lightning protection. Bonding
> (connecting all grounds together) is critical for lightning protection,
> electrical safety (shock, fires), and to some extent, hum, buzz, and RFI.
>
> I've written extensively on this, and the writing is not
> "pronouncements" but is accompanied by discussions of WHY.

Yes. I have read some of those: at least as much as I could wade through. Your
presentations are a bit too thorough and repetitive for me, but that is OK.
They are very
well-done. And I understand your main audience.

Thank you,

Ken W7EKB

---