Re: [RFI] RFI In My Shack

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI In My Shack
From: Joe <w7rkn.7@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 18:05:27 -0800
Oh...wait...facts have gotten a bit distorted here..

1:  I have only had issues with the network adapter in the laser printer.

2:  My speakers are fine.  I was coming through the subs with the Henry
amplifier, but *NOT* affecting the network adapter in the printer.

3:  With the L7 in line, The subs no longer 'hear' my amp when I am online,
but the network adapter in the printer is paying the price.

Those are the *only* issues.

My OCFD IS installed correctly, with the proper 4:1 balun (Current balun, if
memory serves), and fed with good coax, not the cheap, Radio Shack garbage.
The only thing that could be better is height.  It is only, on average, 20
feet in the air, and 3/4's of it is on the top of a 15 foot berm, therefore
35 feet in the air.  Rarely is the amp on for DX, simply not needed.  90% of
my DX or cross-county conversations are around 70 to 90 watts.  The power is
mainly used for cloud burning into Northern, Central, and Southern
California, Oregon, and Baja California.

I do not have a vertical, in any form.  Been sorta looking for a good,
affordable used Hygain HyTower.  Had one once, on my old property and it
was, without a doubt, the best vertical ever made. I sold it when we built
our new house in the city.  My flat topped OCFD is great for DX'ing and long
distance.

I got into the phone system here badly, with the Henry Amp, but, the L7 has
no effect on the phones,  which is a Panasonic 1.9GHz, DECT 6.0 phone.

I am just trying to finger out *how* RF is getting into my network and
smoking the net card in the printer, and how to stop.  As I said, there is
***NO*** RF floating around the shack, that was the first thing I checked.
Even had a good friend to looks for RFI issues for the phone company check
out my findings and said my old, homebuilt 'RF sniffer' is reading
correctly.  I have a mystery, and want to solve it.  I am going to read the
information that Jim so kindly gave me (us) the website for and see if I can
glean anything out of that source.

Joe - W7RKN