Re: [RFI] Solar System Electronics

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar System Electronics
From: "Dave Cole (NK7Z)" <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 09:59:49 -0700
Your best bet is to visit a working system that will be installed EXACTLY as your system will be with an FT-817, or such.

Remember parts change, vendors source parts from different locations all the time, some devices are better than others, you get the picture...

If possible build RFI suppression into the contract, and set a date that it has to be done by.

One company I know that actually cares about RFI, (at least today), is Grape Solar. One of their engineers contacted me to assist in de-noising two of their solar PV systems last week, and it was PROACTIVE, not reactive. They wanted a plan that works, on hand in the event of complaints! It was refreshing to see... I have another visit coming up to assist in testing the filter the put together.

They did a presentation at my club and the engineer had cobbled together some filtering and wanted to retest for RFI! He sounds like he is headed for obtaining his ham ticket soon!

I helped them as much as I could, (got a bunch of RFI out of their setup with ferrite, and twisted cabling), then did a referral to a fellow Jim, (K9YC), suggested. I also shot them and the ARRL lab staff a letter of introduction. So some companies actually care... Bring it up to your vendor in advance.

73s and thanks,
Dave
NK7Z
https://www.nk7z.net