Re: [RFI] FCC Complaint Filing

To: 'Charles Plunk' <af4o@twc.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] FCC Complaint Filing
From: "EDWARDS, EDDIE J via RFI" <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 15:09:27 +0000
Chuck,

It probably depends on the agency and if they have in-house technicians or if
they outsource tech support whether they can respond to and track down an
interfering source right away or not.  But the trunking systems will alarm if a
channel is getting interference and will remove a channel from service if the
interference is chronic or sustained.

Our experience with our 800Mhz ORION-shared, trunked radio system in Nebraska
is if the system controller doesn't remove a channel from service right away,
then the public safety radio subsystems may notice coverage degradation earlier
than our utility does since their sites are designed for indoor portable radio
coverage while our utility only has mobile radio coverage on our subsystem.
Old cellular boosters are the usual culprit that gets into an 800Mhz radio
system causing a channel to alarm and then be removed from service by the
controller.

Radio users will not notice anything most of the time since a chronically bad
channel won't be assigned to the users of a trunked radio system.

Back during the analog days, we've had local TV and radio studio links' with
bad harmonics drift into the 800Mhz band, but those were easy to identify and
find since the broadcast ID made it clear who it was.  Those would be harder to
locate in today's digital world unless you use a multi-digital mode receiver
like in certain test sets/monitors.

73, de ed -K0iL
Eddie Edwards