Re: [RFI] Solar panel RFI

To: "Hare, Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar panel RFI
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 19:04:28 +0000
FairRite has an excellent presentation on determining ferrite toroid
material.  All that's required is some method of measuring both the
physical dimensions of the toroid (a ruler or calipers) and the inductance
at low frequency (100 to 300 kHz) of 10 or so turns of wire on the toroid.
  This and many additional "goodies" can be accessed at the following URL
(scroll down for the ferrite material determination tutorial):

           https://www.fair-rite.com/videos-presentations/

I've used this quite successfully over the last year.  It's golden in
determining unknown toroids bought at a hamfest.  Also, the distinction
between 31 (general low frequency) and 43 (generally high frequency)
material is easy.  43 material consists of NiZn and has an extremely high
bulk resistivity - above the reach of most DMMs.  31 material consists of
MnZn and exhibits relatively low bulk resistivity - easily measured by any
good DMM.  Other than that, refer to the online FairRite video.

Dave - WØLEV

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*