Re: [RFI] small CMC

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] small CMC
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 16:23:02 -0700
On 4/5/2022 4:10 PM, David Hale wrote:
I use K9YC-design CMCs (from the "Cookbook") all around the shack.

The primary application for these chokes is at the feedpoint of antennas that are matched to their feedline at frequencies of interest; secondary application is down the line from the feedpoint of high dipoles as "egg insulators" to prevent them acting as parasitic elements of nearby vertical antennas. I don't know of any good reason to use them in the shack.

As to your application, a so-called end-fed half wave (which is a half wave on only one frequency), these chokes can be applied at the feedpoint on frequencies where the SWR is fairly low, and/or the power is fairly low. They're likely to fry with high SWR and high power. I don't know of a practical choke for lines with high SWR at the point where they are inserted. In such a situation, if they don't fry with moderate power they aren't doing anything useful.

73, Jim K9YC