Re: [RFI] small CMC

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] small CMC
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 16:30:38 -0700
On 4/5/2022 4:21 PM, Gary Johnson via RFI wrote:
  A secondary choice is a 1.4-inch mix 41, Fair-Rite 2643802702. Those are in
stock.

#43 material is not great for use at HF because of their wide manufacturing tolerances and relatively high Q as compared to #31. The difference is that #31 is MnZn, which has both circuit resonance (the winding) and dimensional resonance. The two combine to provide a much broader resonance. While #31 also has comparable wide mfg tolerances, the broader resonance makes predictable designs possible. #43 is NiZn, which has no dimensional resonance, thus higher Q.

I didn't come to this conclusion until I did the extensive research that led to the 2018 Cookbook.

73, Jim K9YC