Filters and things...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Filters and things...
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 14:59:05 -0400 (EDT)
> have learned how to separate two signals coming thru the filters using the
> passband tuning; but how does it work?

The passband tuning uses an oscillator/mixer before and after the filters.
By changing the frequency of the oscillator, you can place the IF
frequency anywhere within the bandpass of the xtal filter. Yes it sure
works good.

> The manual also doesn't do a very good job of explaining the BP/Fade
> control either.  The way I understand these knobs, they are some sort of
> audio passband tuning; is this correct?  I've learned with these knobs I
> can take a lot of background noise and hiss out of the signal; but how do
> they work?
My Omni 6 doesn't have the 'fade' control so I'm not sure Vernon. Probably
it's just an audio filter.

> The notch filter just eliminates hetrodynes; right?
Right. You have to sneak up on them! The Omni 6 has both the notch plus
the 'autonotch' which only works on ssb modes.

Steve Ellington N4LQ@IGLOU.COM  Louisville, Ky