Centaur 411

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Centaur 411
From: dcalvin@austin.ibm.com (Duane Calvin)
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 19:23:16 +0000
Thanks for the nice words, Billy.  You're right in my case, this is
the first HF linear I have owned, but far from the first one I have used
in my 33 years of hamming.  And, I'm an engineer and "cursed" at the
moment with working a job in quality assurance.  Maybe my expectations
are too high?
  Personally, what I expect from TenTec in a $750 600W amp is somewhat
more than I expect from Ameritron.  Likewise, certainly less than I'd
expect from ETO/Alpha Power in their high $ amps.  But from the
perspective of quality of design and execution, I still expect TT to
meet specs without any obvious problems. If the fan noise were the only
problem I was encountering, then I'd be less concerned.  I like the
concept of the Centaur, and I like the look of its construction.  But
when I combine the fan noise (more about this in a moment) with
unexpected intermittent arcing and power output less than spec'ed, then
it becomes more than a minor odd behavior or an endearing quirk.  Yes,
the TT costs less than its higher powered brothers, but I expect the
price difference relates to the lower cost of components - tubes,
sockets, and power supply components.  It's exactly what I want in
concept at a price I'm willing to pay.
  Back to the fan noise for a sec.  I chase a lot of weak signal CW.
Two reasons - being a little pistol, these are more available since most
of the "big guns" don't bother to listen for them. Second, it's fun to
be the first one to catch a guy, before the crowd arrives.  (I've
confirmed over 200 countries with 100w and an Isoloop this way including
over 100 on 20m, 15m, and 10m.) But the Centaur's fan noise is quite
noticeable while wearing Heil "over-the-ear" headphones and trying to
listen to a signal through band noise, etc.  I use audio DSP to reduce
noise, I don't need a fan to add it back in - HI!  So, for this user,
the fan noise is bothersome and I'd like to see it reduced.
  I think the Centaur has a lot of potential, but has a few problems
that need to be resolved.  That's why I haven't just mailed it back with
a "nice try" note.  I'm hoping there is either something wrong with this
one, or a mod coming that will eliminate the power reduction problem.
I'm willing to work with them on this one because I really want to like
this amp!

  73,  Duane   AC5AA

--
Duane A. Calvin      "All statements are mine only, not my employer's."
ac5aa@juno.com  -or-  duanec@prodigy.com

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.html