OMNI VII

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: OMNI VII
From: dcalvin@austin.ibm.com (Duane Calvin)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 21:25:32 +0000
My recommendation on DSP is to not include it unless it is IF-level
DSP.  External audio level DSP's are usually much more versatile than
internal rig-mounted audio units.  In addition, the user can replace an
external unit, but is stuck paying for on internal one and then cannot
replace it next year when new algorithms are available.  As far as
audio/IF, DSP is most useful when in the IF string prior to AGC voltage
development.  This allows you (like with IF notch) to remove signals
prior to their developing AGC voltage, and pushing the stage gains down
on that puny signal you are straining to hear under all the noise.
Audio stage DSP is "most useful" in reducing the amount of
atmospheric/white noise that just wears you down during long sessions
chasing DX or contesting.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
        I'm a very happy user of an NIR-12, after 3 years with a Timewave DSP-9
(which served the purpose, but the NIR is much better).

        73,  Duane   AC5AA

--
Duane A. Calvin      "All statements are mine only, not my employer's."
ac5aa@juno.com  -or-  duanec@prodigy.com

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/TenTecFAQ.html