[TenTec] RIG IN THE MIDDLE

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RIG IN THE MIDDLE
From: Shawn Tayler" <stayler@powernet.net (Shawn Tayler)
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 97 11:40:03 +0700
On Sat, 21 Jun 1997 08:27:21 -0400, bames@mecasw.com wrote:

>About the "quiet" rx. I was wondering what would be the difference in what
>I hear from my Argo rx if it had a synthesized osc instead of the PTO.  Any
>thoughts?

My Only real complaint on my Argo is all the birdies on the 10M band.  I am
using the unit as an IF for my transverter setup and the birdies are
almost intolerable.  The factory said "thats the way it is" and they even said
the Omni had the same trouble ( I would have bought one on the
spot if they could have stated there were no birdies in that rig as well.
You'd think for $2000 they could fix it.  I guess its a "compromise" rig
like the Scout/Argo.)   The birdies are mostly from the uP and are mostly at
image and double image freqs.  I've tried ferrite on the leads and
even an amp or two to isolate the thing to no avail ( there was a small
improvement with some of the ferrites.)  I really think the fix will be to put
the whole CPU board into a box and bypass everything in and out.  But it will
probably end up being sold or junked out.  Its a real shame,  as I
had heard so many good things about Ten-tec and I am so disappointed.  I really
expected better from an American manufacturer.

Just my $.02

de Shawn
 N7LQ (formerly WB7TDI)

DM09dn & DN01fa