[TenTec] OmniV/VI cw characteristics

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OmniV/VI cw characteristics
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 19:37:46 -0400
Let me further clarify this. The note is not only due to a steep leading
edge but also to a slight shift in frequency as the oscillator on the
tx-osc board trys to shift frequency instantly upon keying. This fsk keying
of the tx-osc is old hat for Ten-Tec but for some reason we can HEAR IT on
the Omni-6. The end result is not just hard keying....shucks, most of old
cw guys like hard keying.....but what I call a TWIRP. Yes, not enough to
qualify as a chirp but enough to really sound trashy. No...don't try to
blame it on the power supply. I've that one dozens of times before. I've
had 2 Omni-6's here and tried several different supplies with the same
results.

The problem seems to be most noticable at speeds over 25 wpm. No....This is
not just some personal quirk or lack of preferrence for hard keying. This
is real-bonified trashy keying. The guys at TenTec are our friends. We all
love their products and their attitude. Still there remains just these few
little things like the Scout and it's frequency jumping and the Omni-6 with
it's poor keying. Fix those and away we go.

N4LQ Steve