[TenTec] T-Kit 1220 2m FM Transceiver Mods?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] T-Kit 1220 2m FM Transceiver Mods?
From: chuck@Topsail.ORG (Chuck Murcko)
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 20:18:28 -0400
Hi Jack. Did you by chance see my posting on the list earlier about
this? I'm wondering how old your kit is, since I built mine this summer.
I run 1200+ watts on HF here with none of the memory reset problems you
describe, and a similar antenna setup, although I have installed an
electrolytic in the optional spot (the one that's recommended for mobile
use) of 2200 uf. 4700 uf is the value Ten Tec recommends; I just had the
other handy. I've had none of the described problems with my 1220/1222
at either high or low power settings. I do run the transceiver from a
different power supply than my HF rigs, as well.

The troubleshooting guide in the manual also has some suggestions for
checks if the microprocessor isn't starting up properly.

3.2 watts sounds a bit low; I measure 4 watts on low power here, and 40
watts on high power. The manual does indicate that with amateur grade
power meters, 3-7 watts indicates that the transmitter is working
properly. If you have a Bird 43 with a 5 or 10 watt VHF slug, then I'd
wonder.

I regularly use repeaters 40-50 miles from this location without
trouble, and I regularly hear repeaters in Baltimore, though I can't
raise those.

The strongest RF fields my 1220 operates in are my own, so I have no
experience with susceptibility to strong AM broadcast fields.

73, KE3KR

--
chuck
Chuck Murcko