[TenTec] Why Stop Here ? MFJ Cleartone replacement

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Why Stop Here ? MFJ Cleartone replacement
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 23:20:35 -0600
Steve Ellington wrote:
>Next, the speaker should have absolutely no bass response. The
low end
>cuttoff frequency should be around 500hz. Most stereo speakers,
even
>cheap ones cut off at about 60hz. Good bass response is fine for
rap
>music but with cw, it punctuates the thumps and clicks. This is
>especially bad for qsk work not to mention how it enhances the
sound of
>static.

This goes for stereo headphones, as well.  I have a pair of
Optimus (read: Radio Shack) Pro-90's.  They are great headphones
on my stereo and I use them in contests.  The big drawback is the
bass response...it's too good for CW.  Every once in a while, I
don't know what causes it, maybe some very low audio frequency
signals or something, but there comes a thumping of the headphone
cones that sounds just like someone (my neighbor??) knocking on
my door.  I swear, I have even stood up in the middle of a
contest QSO and looked out the window blinds only to find no one
at the front door!  All because of the bass response of the
headphones.....

73,
Dale, kg5u
kg5u@hal-pc.org