[TenTec] Scout Info

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout Info
From: k7sz@juno.com (k7sz@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 21:17:32 EST
MANY, many thanks to all who responded (about 40 of you!)

Lots of good info and comments, along with some things to ponder.

One comment that surfaced in almost every single response was the
"hopping" of the VFO during high speed CW. This would prove to be a real
hassle to me, since I work CW almost exclusively.

Other comments sung the praises of this simple but interesting radio.
Many commented about the cost cutting measures done by T-T to keep the
price down and the expense and inconvenience of the having to deal with
band modules. Almost everyone said the noise blanker should have been
included along with a hand mic as part of the rig's base price.

Only one individual commented on the noisy receiver. He claimed that
receiver in his Scout (a 556) was so fraught with "whine" (possibly phase
noise?) that he could not use headphones!

This weekend I get to play with one. One of the locals has a Scout 556
that he said I could use for a few days to find out if I liked it well
enough to trade off my entire shack to afford the new rig.

In the mean time, I will consider offers on my primo/mint Century-22 and
Yaesu FT-301SD, just in case I need some fast cash to send to Tennessee.

73 rich K7SZ

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]