[TenTec] Scout Info

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout Info
From: gfbike@millcomm.com (gfbike)
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 08:08:31 -0600
I really doubt that the "whine" is in the synthesizer. Synthesizer noise
would only be audible in the presence of a signal for it to beat with.

The rig with the whine may actually have a bad part in it. I would ask
(having not seen the unit myself), does it have any switching power
supplies in it? Or is there a ground loop somewhere? Both of these can
cause whine type noises in headphones. Also, if there is any connection
anywhere common to the system and to a cable TV system (or its ground)?

I'd be hesitant to lable the receiver as noisey based on the comments of
one person whose receiver might be defective.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the band modules. They are quite
cheap. How often do you change bands in a day anyway? It must take all
of 15 seconds to change bands!

On the other hand, you can buy a used TT rig with full features for less
money that a Scout. I only paid $850 for my Omni V! I know where there
is a nice Corsair for about $500.

73,

Gary