[TenTec] keyer

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] keyer
From: pob@vt.edu (Joseph T. Price-O'Brien)
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 12:04:16 -0400
Jim, WB2TPS, wrote:

> I modified my bug to use with the electronic keyer ( a W4VVF? from
> QST)...

That was the WB4VVF Accu-Keyer from August 1973 QST (followed one year
later by the WB4VVF Accu-Keyer memory add-on).  I got tired of trying
to develop the skill to use my Lafayette bug (hey, I was poor in those
days), pulled the weight off the cantilever and used it as a paddle for
my Accu-Keyer.  I have built four of these over the years, the last one
in 1995, on a piece of Radio Shack perf-board and spent more dollar$
than if I had bought a real nice keyer (read CMOS Super-Keyer II), but I
have always had a love affair with the simplicity of the Accu-Keyer
being designed with just TTL circuitry.  The only mod I have made to the
last one I built was to install a reed relay to drive both grid-blocked
tube rigs and modern solid-state rigs.  In my experience, this is still
a super performer while remaining simple to build.  Nowadays, I use a
Vibro-Keyer, single lever paddle (I got a better job) to drive all of my
rigs.  I use a second one in my Jeep to run my T-T Scout mobile.

OBIE, WA4DOX...
mailto:wa4dox@vt.edu