[TenTec] One last chirp

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] One last chirp
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 08:43:09 -0500
>If there's a leading edge spike on CW from ALC action, then the drive
>level is too high and the drive should be backed down until there's
>barely ALC action, then the leading edge can have a slower rise without
>creating a spike and the hard leading edge would no longer click.

I don't disagree with you on this point Jerry.  Only these transceivers
(Omni V and Omni Six/Six Plus) have no front-panel adjustable DRIVE or ALC
control that appear on other transceivers.  My Triton IV IS front-panel
adjustable and perhaps so is your Corsair?  To control power, drive and ALC
on the Omni Six, the user has but one control, the POWER control for this
function.

Regarding the ladder v. lattice differences: it may all be in the design and
not the medium.  However, there's a real-world difference between these
filters.  As a practical matter, the ladder filters tend to pass the
dynamics of the original waveform, whereas the lattice filters tend to
remove the effects of the waveform rise and decay time.  Personally, I
cannot copy CW using narrow lattice filters.  Is this the nature of the
filter, or can this shortcoming be eliminated through better design?  Also,
Steve notes that W1AW's 20-meter "click" perception is much different,
depending on the I.F. filter type.  All other things being equal (e.g.,
filter width), I hear the same effect.

I really have nothing more to say concerning the perceived USB/LSB
differences when listening to waveform artifacts, except that myself and
others notice this and it was one of my observations that eventually led me
to the 2.4 kHz filter in determining why CW in the CW mode sounded inferior
to CW in the FSK mode on my Omni Six.  Electrically, the two modes are
identical, notwithstanding the different BFO offset and lack of sidetone.

-Paul, W9AC