[TenTec] One last chirp

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] One last chirp
From: carl.s.hyde@lmco.com (Carl Hyde)
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 09:43:47 -0500
After hearing all these comments about the CW signal of the Omni VI I also
listened in on the code practice session last night with my Scout and the
good old Collins 75A-4 station and the S-line. I didn't hear anything
unusual until I tuned around and listened to other signals but I didn't find
the W1AW signal objectionable, just a littlt different. I also captured the
received waveform with my Tektronics Digital Waveform Analyzer and  I did
see a fast rise time in the leading edge.  This leads me to believe that you
should transmit with a Collins but you should listen with an Omni.  However,
should any of you nitpickers be totally unhappy with the transmitted
waveform of your Omni and wish to go out and purchase another rice burner
something like maybe a Kenwood (A company who has not managed to translate
customer service to a meaningful Japanese equivalent) I will gladly take any
Omni VIs off your hands. (He said with a sly grin)

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, P.E. wrote:

> I listened to the beginning of 0000Z code practice. I still can't find
> anything but a hard leading edge. Its most pronounced with the signal
> nearly centered in the SSB filter, least pronounced with 500 Hz CW
> filter shifted to pass only up to 800 hz and a passive 990 Hz LC low
> pass filter on the speaker. Oh, the receiver is  Corsair II.

Carl Hyde
carl.s.hyde@lmco.com
Desk:  (609) 866-6386
Fax:   (609) 866-6414

POLITICS:  From the Latin prefix "Poli" meaning "Many" and the word "Tics"
           meaning "blood sucking parasites"