[TenTec] How's the new Vibroplex?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] How's the new Vibroplex?
From: hmmjr@erols.com (H. M. Motley, Jr.)
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 09:14:13 -0400
Mike,
The Vibroplex bugs made in Alabama are quite nice.  I collect Vibroplex
bugs and have over 50 ranging from one made in 1907 to two made in 1997.
The new bugs have the best chrome plating of any of the Vibroblex bugs.
Some of the older chrome plating was rather thin but the new ones are
first class in this respect.  The new black power coated base used on
the standard finish bugs is very nice looking and quite durable.  In
addition, Mitch (W4OA, the current owner) has returned to the old method
of affixing the Vibroplex label with rivets rather than glueing them on.
That's a very nice touch.  The new bugs are nicely put together,
everything fits and the feel is quite nice. One thing I've noticed about
the two new bugs I have is that the mainspring is quite stiff.  This
makes the bugs quite fast only slowing down to about 32 WPM with the
standard weight provided. You have to add weights to get it down into
the 20's.  A beginner's bug it is not!

I've seen the new Blue Racer.  It's a nice looking key but if you expect
one that looks like the old Racers you will be disappointed.  The new
Racer is simply a Deluxe Original mounted on a 2 1/2" blue base.  It
does not have the smaller parts of a "real" Blue Racer.  Also, as with
all bugs currently being produced, it does not have the circuit closer
switch.  That item was discontinued as a standard feature back in the
late 70's and is still only available by special order if at all. Even
so, the new Blue Racer is like no other ever produced by Vibroplex so it
may well be of interest to collectors.  Also, if you want a bug on a
small base the new Racer is the least expensive way to go because older
Blue Racers demand ridiculous prices today.
73,
Puck, W4PM

I copied the list because Ten Ten guys and gals must be CW ops and
surely they are interested in keys!