[TenTec] GADZOOKS! PICKY, PICKY, PICKY!!!!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] GADZOOKS! PICKY, PICKY, PICKY!!!!
From: n2ka@juno.com (Arthur R Bernstein)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 23:17:40 EDT
Holy Mackell--can't  believe what I've been reading on the reflector
about the OMNI VIs.
Don't youze guyze (or y'all) have lives? Maybe when we pass through those
Pearly Gates there will be a perfect radio 'awaitin' us without any hiss,
clicks, beeps, blips, etc.
The OMNI isn't perfect, nor are the imports. Let's just recognize that
simple fact. I happen to really like my OMNI VI/OPT 3. Been a ham almost
38 years and have had a bunch of radios. This is quite possibly the best.
Never owned an FT-1000 or 1000MP,
IC-781, TS-950SDX or the similar-couldn't afford any of them, thankfully.
Have had my OMNI for 5 1/2 years, work mostly CW, a large part of my time
is on 160 meters where I have 128 countries on a 60 X 100 ft. plot, 346
countries overall. This radio can't be a piece of crap, as many of our
compatriots are trying to allude to!!
Noise: Sure there's internal noise, high frequency hiss. For the most
part it's not objectionable. If you're going to sit on a dead band and
listen to hiss, you really need your head examined. With any decent
amount of activity, I'd rather listen to signals. If still objectionable,
click on the LP. I do find the audio frequency response on SSB receive,
on the infrequent times I use it, to be on the treble or high frequency
side. A little annoying, but still better than the muddy, bassy audio
from past Yaesu and Drakes I had. I think this could have been addressed
with better audio shaping. I'm not an engineer and I can live with it. I
can live with a little bit of keying thumps. Been too lazy to disconnect
that little connector. I applaud those of you who have the financial
wherewithall who have pumped hundreds of dollars into a fine radio to
"upgrade" the filtering system. Interesting, but I guess I'll pass on
that. Kids gotta' eat. Filters are nutrient poor.
Guys, stop bitching. Get on the air and work some DX. Remember the OMNI
VI is a real comfortable, easy to use, high performance radio and
considering everything, including the Ten-Tec Company with its excellent
accessibility and support, a great bargain!!
Now I can get back on the air.
73,
Art, N2KA..