[TenTec] Hercules II

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Hercules II
From: pcuellar@bright.net (Phil Cuellar)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 19:59:48 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Ken Kinyon <W7TS@ibm.net>
To: 'Rich Shaver' <rf-fr@juno.com>; <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, July 30, 1999 12:04 PM
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Hercules II

> Rich,
> I used mine with a Heavy duty deep cycle battery and an automatic Battery
> charger.  It worked ok, but I am very nervous about having batteries in
> shack.  I would recommend strongly against it unless you can keep battery
> outside and bring the twelve volts in with heavy cables.  I found some
quite
> heavy ones in an auto parts store.  I finally found a used 9420 for sale
and
> bought it.  It is a big improvement all around.
> 73,
> Ken
> W7TS
>
> Kenneth E.  Kinyon
> 34 Princeton Circle
> Longmont, CO 80503-2106
> Voice/fax  (303) 684-0037
> E-mail W7TS@ibm.net
> ALPCA #8339
> ARRL-LM

A good option for cables is go to a welding supply house and have cables cut
to length, with terminals swaged on. Welding cables usually have smaller
diameter wire wrapped up into the cable. Result is more wires inside the
insulation than automotive type cables. They tend to handle the current
better.
Not as cheap, lower tendency to emit smoke.....

A good friend of mine has his batteries outside, in a little custom
enclosure attached to the outside wall. Works well. Maybe he will give us
the details here on the reflector....

73,
Phil - KB8TRK