[TenTec] Tentec Amps

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Tentec Amps
From: pfb@eriecoast.com (Paul)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:04:27 -0400
Well--To all whom have responded so far.  Thank You.

Trying to get to all whom responded.   On the QST magazine article-  I saw
it listed and not being a member I was unable to get to review it.  Thank
you for the offer to e-mail it.  The offer is appreciated but I don't want
to impose on you just because I have choosen to not Join the ARRL.   I wnat
to hear from those in the trenches using the equipment on a regular and full
time basis and how it has lasted and performed under every day use and
applications.

To the PS comment and save up for the Centurian because it is much better!
So true!! but there goes another 6-7 months in time and savings to get
there.  Here is the scenario for that then---I am limited to 110v line in
for the next 3-4 years.  Choices are then limited to Centurion at 110 with
30 amp draw(1300watts out).   The Ameritron 572b at 110 with 16 amps
draw(1300watts out).  The Alpha 99 at 110 it draws 30 amps(1500 watts++).
QRO 1000 or 2000 which I don't have figures on yet.  But does this become
more obvious to the dilema I face?  Where and when and at what point do I
draw a line and chose or continue to save and wait.  I could end up saving
for 2 years and loose all those contacts and QSO's. All the while there is
enough  burning a hole in the pocket for a small one to get fired up real
soon?!!  Hell of a thing to admit too.

Maybe I should do more research on the tubes that power these various rigs.
>From what I gather the 500Z is great.  But why doesn't the Centurian put out
legal limit like Ameritron implies in their literature.  I feel that is
directly sent to the potential Tentec Buyer of the Centurian.

What will it be used for?? My purpose.  I talk everyday at least to make a
contact.  I use it for voice only,  so far very littel of my interest in the
hobby has to do with CW.  I have an interest in the PSK and have used that
mode a bunch but the pleasure to me comes from the voice portions of the
bands.  On PSK there seems very little need for QRO at this point in time.
I Maybe pursuing Amateur TV in the future but voice is primary right now.  I
have heard several times the Japan stations coming in and I get lost in the
bumble bee nest that occurs when all the US hams respond and try for the
contact.  So far I have heard Japan 9 times clear as a bell and I cannot get
ahead of the pack repsonding to them.  I couldn't get back to Moscow with
the hornets nest that was there when the transmiting station was unkeyed.
This has also happened to 3 Australian stations.  I just need to get more
punch to get above the pack.  When I sit back and listen  the transmitting
stations usually are on a linear anywhere from 600 watts to usually 1000 or
more to send there signal here and the stations that get in there seem to
have a linear on too.

Now that I type this and I am remembering -- maybe the 500-600 just won't
cut it.  It seems like 1000 watts is real common to do the contact over seas
but I am just too new to have the right answer.

I do have a hearing problem in my right ear and have a problem using
headphones because the response to higher frequencies causes a distortion in
my right eardrum.  The loud fan could pose a problem.

I have not seen anyone try the holes that one of the individuals spoke of 3
years ago on the thread.  Seems off the wall to cut out holes in your new
amp to quiet it down and allow more air flow---I noticed he spoke about it
but did not do it and wanted to know if anyone else would try it.  There was
never a resonse to his querie(sp).

I hope this answered all the questions and adds more to discuss about on the
Tentec brand.  Looking forward top my first piece of Tentec gear.  Still new
to this hobby and only on HF since Jan.

Thank you all for the input and information.  It is not easy to pick the
right amp out.  It is more confusing than I ever imagined but this appears
that it is more important than I first thought.  From what I am learning It
could become the heart of the station and be your most valuable peice of
equipment to get you that contact that is so elusive.

Sounds like I am talking myself into a Centurian or Alph99 or AL-572b!

Better stop typing.

Paul
KI8HO