[TenTec] OMNI-VI Plus features lost from OMNI-V?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI-VI Plus features lost from OMNI-V?
From: n1eu@yahoo.com (N1EU)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 08:57:24 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Terry,

I'm sure a bunch of the guys on the reflector can
respond with some good input on these points.  A few
comments based on my experience:

> the OMNI-V review
> clearly notes the presence
> of a monitor knob!  Did this disappear on the
> OMNI-VI?  How about adding
> this back?  Is there documentation on this?

No monitor on the VI.  There is a proposed mod that
I've seen and experimented with but found limited
success.  I personally am looking into implementing a
monitor function by using an external audio mixer and
using PTT control signals to gate the audio lines.

> 2.  International Radio and some of the postings on
> this reflector have
> noted that the stock 2.4 filters are "too narrow";
> yet TenTec has a great
> reputation for audio with the ragchewers!
> Furthermore, one would think that
> narrow bandwidth would be appreciated by contesters.
>  I primarily operate CW.
> I am very happy with my Corsair II and its tentec
> filters.  Should I plan on
> buying a pair of IRC SSB filters, or stick with my
> tentec cw filters?

This is hard to answer quickly.  The stock 2.4 filters
are pretty good but some of us appreciate the extra
smoothness and fidelity on receive that the 2.8
filters add.  Wait till you've used the Omni a while
and then decide whether you yourself sense a need for
them.  Many (most?) don't.  Yes I agree with your
comment on the fantastic transmit ssb audio in general
from Ten Tec rigs.  Just listen to the User's net on
Sunday - you'll never hear a group of 20+ rigs on ssb
that sound so consistently good.

The 2.8 filters would not be used during contesting.
Plenty of filter positions to accomodate the 2.8's and
a narrower ssb filter as well.

TenTec cw filters are fine.

> 3.  The QST review of the OMNI VI says that altho
> the cw offset can be adjusted,
> the PBT must be offset when the offset is different
> from 600 Hz.  Is this
> still true on the VI Plus?

My PBT is always offset on CW.  No big deal.

> 4.  At the beginning of this reflector's life, a
> frequent complaint about
> the VI was that the RIT could not be cleared easily.
>  Is this a problem with
> the VI plus?

Hold it down for a couple of secs and it's cleared. No
big deal.

The Omni 6 is a fantastic rig.

Good luck,
Barry  N1EU