[TenTec] Pegasus & lightning

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus & lightning
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 07:08:15 -0500
>Which begs the question:  Is it safe to disconnect your transmission
line
>and lay it out on the floor? ]

Yes.  Better if you ground it, though.

>If the transmission line connects to an
>ungrounded antenna (a dipole, for instance), then it can build up
very high
>voltages even if not directly hit by lightning.

More reason for grounding the coax/feedline end.

>But if the antenna is hit, do we think that lightning which has
jumped
>hundreds of feet is going to respect the six feet between the
operator and
>that coax on the floor?

No.  It's faceitious to believe that.

BUT....

it's better than doing nothing and leaving the equipment connected.

Most lightning strikes are simply "nearby" strikes.  Those nearby
strikes can carry a lot of energy to your antenna system, energy that
can damage equipment.  It's the nearby strikes that disconnecting will
likely protect against most often.

The direct strike is probably a lesser likelihood and certainly can
cause more damage than a nearby strike.

At least, by disconnecting (and grounding), you have hopefully reduced
the chances of being affected by a nearby strike or even a direct
strike.

>Seems that might risk turning an otherwise useful ham into a krispy
kritter.
>I'd rather lose a rig than a life.

If you wait until you hear the storm's thunder, you are certainly
putting yourself at risk.  That's why I say that whenever you are not
operating, disconnect everything. Then, you don't have to worry about
racing the storm to your feedlines/ac power, etc.