[TenTec] Pegasus & lightning

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus & lightning
From: James Morgan" <dinsmore@gte.net (James Morgan)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 14:14:12 +0100
Having had a lightning strike earlier this year, I feel the need to add my
$.02 worth.
Lightning hit the pole behind my house and came in via the power line, cable
TV line, and telephone line.   NO ANTENNAS WERE CONNECTED at the time.
Since these lines  are all grounded and protected, the surge went to ground
as it was supposed to... but, in the process, it
distributed itself  throughout the house via the ground wire of the
electrical system..  damage included, transceiver power supply, transceiver,
linear amplifier computer, monitor, printer, scanner, answering machine,
air conditioners  etc.. etc.
The only protection is  HAVE NOTHING CONNECTED ,  when I am thru
with the rig or computer, they are disconnected from everything.  that way
if I am away from the house and a thunderstorm comes up...no worries.
Best wishes and good luck to you all   73  Jimmy   AE4NA
                              Florida - lightning capital  of the USA.