[TenTec] TenTec RX-320 S-meter question.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TenTec RX-320 S-meter question.
From: caitlyn@netferrets.net (Caitlyn Martin)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 13:12:34 -0500
Hi, Jeff,

> and just change
> frequency or go back to CW where the real hams are. (Yes this is a stab
> at the No-class tech's, if your so lazy not to learn CW then find another
> hobby and leave us alone.)

You know, if all the people who didn't like CW (myself included) left, that
would be, oh... 80% of the ham community.  You'd have no bands left in
nothing flat.  Oh, and I am not too lazy.  I worked hard to pass my 13 WPM
on the *fourth* try some years ago.  The theory tests were easy by
comparison, including the Advanced.

Do not blast the no-code techs.  They are over 50% of the ham ranks, last I
checked.  They are the majority.  They are more welcome to me than arrogant
know-it-alls like you who want to tell me I am not a real ham because I do
not and will not work an archaic, historical mode like CW.  Morse is
wonderful for those who enjoy it, and I understand that it *was* a vital
means of  communication in the not too distant past, but that was then and
this is now.

The best way to destroy this hobby is to drive people away.  In case you
didn't read the FCC numbers last year (the only numbers that matter), for
the very first time in history the number of licensed hams declined.  Oh,
not by much, but the decline is real.

Oh, and the FCC is about to restructure ham radio licensing.  We will have a
report-and-order shortly.  CW will be deemphasized, and the required code
speed for the top license won't be 20 WPM any more.  It won't even be 13, if
my sources are correct.  I expect that when the ITU does away with the
international requirement for CW, which will eventually happen, so will the
FCC.

You can gripe about it all you want, but you do not decide who is and is not
a ham, or even a "real" ham.  The FCC does.

> Thank you, I do feel better now!

So do I.  Much, much better.  It's been a while since I told one of you
dinosaurs off after you went and insulted the majority of the ham community.
Heck, I felt insulted, too. Oh, and for the older gentlemen on the list,
dinosaur refers to an attitude, not age.  IMHO, you can be mentally young at
95, and a dinosaur and live in the past at 20, and I, for one, appreciate
some of the older generation who elmered me along.

73,
Caity
KU4QD
(who was a General before there was such a thing as a No-Code Tech)

P.S.:  Flames in response will be filed on my machine at home under
/dev/null