[TenTec] Centurion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Centurion
From: ac5aa@juno.com (Duane A Calvin)
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 10:16:25 -0500
Hi Tom,
        At full bore barefoot, my VI+ reads on the 100W mark (on the high side),
the 100W peak power LED lights on the Centurion, and the "FWD" meter
reads just on the low side of the 100W mark.  Compared to my Autek WM-1
on 2KW scale, measured on 40m, the meters read as follows:

WM-1            Centurion Peak          Centurion "FWD"
500W                500W                    300W
700W                500 +1 LED              400W
1 KW                1000W LED               550W
1400W           red LED just off                    850W  (about 90W drive
req'd on 40m)

I use the FWD meter only as a tuning aid as it makes it very easy to tune
for peak output, and never have tried to use it as an accurate power
output reading.  But I believe there are means to set the power meter
(haven't checked the manual in a long time.)

Hope this helps.

        73,  Duane   AC5AA

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000 09:52:32 -0500 "Tom Branch" <t.branch@gte.net>
writes:

> Greetings,
>
> I finally got the 220 volt outlet installed in my shack yesterday
> and was
> able to put the Centurion on-the-air.  Most impressive--quiet
> (relatively)
> and smooth.
>
> One issue.  The wattmeter is way off.  When in standby, my Omni 6
> meter
> shows 100 watts out, my external wattmeter shows 100 watts out, the
> Centurion's meters (both the bar graph and regular watt meter show
> 200
> watts.  I figured the low end might be off so I loaded it up and
> compared my
> external with the internals.  1250 (1500 watt led lights and then
> drops back
> to 1 red) on the Centurion shows 900-1000 on my external.  Again
> both meters
> are off.
>
> While I don't care about the wattmeters, it makes me wonder if the
> others
> (grid and plate current) are as badly calibrated.
>
> While playing on 20 meters (into a dummy load), I was able to get
> 1500 out
> with about 240 ma of grid current and 100 watts drive.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> 73 de Tom, K4NR
>

> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/tentec