[TenTec] LDG Autotuner

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] LDG Autotuner
From: N3SW@worldnet.att.net (Scott Walker)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:22:30 -0500
I find it interesting that TT may be selling the LDG
autotuner, considering the problem I had using it in my
Omni VI station.  I built one of them from a kit about
2 years ago.  It went together very well and performed
as advertised.  However, I noted an increase of QRN when
operating full QSK CW with it.  I became very sensitive
to internally generated noise in my shack because of
this, and at first I did not realize it was the
autotuner.  I simultaneously had a problem with the Omni
6 "hearing itself" when certain parts of the front-panel
display were active, and TT told me to add a bypass cap
on the low-level board to fix that.  There was still
another source of noise, and when I switched back to my
old TT 4229 antenna tuner, that noise
disappeared.  I called LDG, and with some discussion they
speculated that I was hearing the processor in the
autotuner between each CW character as the AT-11 sensed
the SWR on the feedline.  This was most obvious on
80-meter CW, where I operate daily (NTS nets).  The only
solution was to defeat the autotune function entirely
by lifting a diode lead (switching it to manual does not
override the SWR autosensing) making the processor sleep.
I decided this was too much trouble and have stayed with
my old tuner.  I made TT aware of this problem.  So my
point is, I might be the only guy who had this
problem.  I will be interested to hear results as more TT
users try out this autotuner.
73.
 Scott Walker
 New Cumberland, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania USA
 E-Mail: N3SW@worldnet.att.net