[TenTec] "A low vswr will kill you ! "

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] "A low vswr will kill you ! "
From: cherry@neta.com (Jim FitzSimons)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:04:34 -0700
Sherrill, open wire line is not an option I can use.
My house is metal so at least I have a good counterpoise.
My only HF antenna is a end feed wire 362 feet long.
I have a matching transformer at the feed end of the wire.
The transformer has a powdered iron toriod so it works
down to 1.8 MHz.
Regards, Jim FitzSimons W7ANF

Sherrill WATKINS wrote:
>Jim:  It appears that you may have misinterpreted my point.
However , I agree with your statement that for any given feed
line; the higher the vswr the higher the loss.    However, the
question is how MUCH power is lost in the transmission line
because of high vswr?  In open wire line the loss is extremely
small and insignificant, at least at hf.  That is why open wire
line is used ,to obtain a tremendous bandwidth with insignificant
loss.  On the other hand, coax is very lossy when operated into
a high vswr and limits one's bandwidth to the vswr bandwidth of
the antenna.   This is the basis of what we have been talking
about all along.  - 73's- Corn - k4own