[TenTec] Antenna Tuners for Balanced Antennas

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Antenna Tuners for Balanced Antennas
From: SEWATKINS@dgs.state.va.us (Sherrill WATKINS)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:40:54 -0500
Stuart:  I still assert that for feeding a center fed zep or dipole antenna
for all band use the E.F. Johnson Matchbox is by far the best bang for
the buck.  These new tuners that use a balun on the input side are ok,
I guess?  But how would one know that they are as low loss as
they claim?  Also, they are not reasonably priced, at least for my
income.  However, the main reason I prefer the Johnson Matchbox
is that is complies to all the requirements for a properly designed
antenna tuner as explained and shown by Mr. Walter Maxwell, W2DU,
in his CLASSIC MASTERPIECE of antenna and transmission line
theory " Reflections, Transmission Lines and Antennas."  I found
his book in my library and that is the correct title. I apologize for
misstating the title of the book on earlier posts.  The book is
copyrighted 1990 by the American Radio Relay League. I have the
second printing, dated 1991.   The ISBN is  0-87259-299-5.   As
stated on the back cover of the book"  This volume was written
by Mr. Walt Maxwell, W2DU, a noted antenna designer for RCA Laboratories.  From
1960 until retirement in 1980, Walt was in charge
of the Astro-Electronics Division Space Center Antenna Laboratory
and Test Range.   I will be posting some interesting quotes from the
book for everyone's education ( I hope?) later this week. (These
may blast a hole in a lot of unscientific "old wives tales"
about nonresonant antennas and swr that I have been sworn at
by people who believe "old wives tales" on this board.)  Also, the
book contains additional information that was not published in QST.
In the forward of the book, it is stated by the Executive Vice
President of the ARRL, Mr. David Sumner, K1ZZ, that Mr.
Maxwell's original series of articles in QST were one of the most
popular series of articles ever published in QST!  Also, I apologize
for misquoting the title of the first chapter of the book.  The correct
title is " Too low an SWR CAN kill you" (not "will").  Also, I would like to
thank Mr. Jim Lowman, the administrator of this board for
his scientific and professional method of administering his reflector. We
are indebted to Mr. Jim Lowman for his open mind and clear thought.
- 73's-  Corn-  k4own.

Corrupt politicians love unarmed serfs.