[TenTec] Semi-deaf Corsair II

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Semi-deaf Corsair II
From: cshyde@yahoo.com (Carl Hyde)
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 16:23:47 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Jim
You probably have one of Ten Tec's famous cold solder jounts. I just fixed my
Scout that was at Ten Te c last fall for a problem with the 12 meter module not
seating properly. I got it back in December but did not use it until I finally
went to put it in my van for mobile use. I tried it out on the bench and it
would not transmit. After trying everything I opened it up and was playing with
those tiny little coax connectors when I found an intermittent in one of them.
I found that the socket on the circuit had come loose from the circuit board
with a cold solder joint. I touched it up with the iron and it works fine. I
have an RX-325 receiver that wouldn't receive and after sending it back to ten
tec only to be told they could no longer repair it, I opened it up and checked
every component on every board and found two cold solder joints. This seems to
be a recurring theme with Ten Tec and their various radios. The Omni V was
famous for them. So if your hearing problem comes and goes I would check the rf
connections and just wiggle things around and see if you can find the problem.
Its very rare for an actual component to be bad. Most actual component failures
occurr in the infancy of the rig if they are ever going to occurr. Use your
schematic and follow the card to card connections to see if you have a solder
problem. It may save th postage back to TT. Good Luck