[TenTec] OMNI VI Power Output

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI Power Output
From: ditzian@alltel.net (ditzian@alltel.net)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 16:22:27 -0400
My Omni VI seems to give a maximum of 50 watts now, on my
Autek wattmeter, although the factory tuned it a year ago to what
they said was 100 watts.  At the time I received it back, the Autek
said 70 watts.

Putting that together with my very, very old Ameritron  AL-1200, 10
watts of drive from the Omni gives me 600 watts out, while 50 watts
of drive gives me 1150 watts out.  I suspect that 100 watts of drive
would let me exceed the grid current rating quite nicely, but for a
few seconds I would see the satisfying needle indication of 1500
watts output.

To be honest, 100 watts would probably only come just up to the
grid dissipation, since 50 watts only creates 150 ma. of grid
current, but the other statement sounds better, doesn't it?

Anyway, you guys who say that the extra power does not
meaningfully increase the dBs on the other end are correct, even
with an amp.  But if you had paid the $1500+ for a new amp with
pair of 3-500Z tubes, and then find out that it takes two men and
their girlfriend to drive those tubes, you would understand why you
want that drive so the needle shows 1500 watts out.

73,
Jan Ditzian
KX2A
kx2a@arrl.net