[TenTec] Astron Power Suppy?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Astron Power Suppy?
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:20:13 -0500
My VS35-M was purchased  couple of years ago and has been used ever since
to power either a Kachina 505DSP or an IC-756PRO. I have had no instances
of "r-f" problems despite heavy operation on the digital modes and the use
of some audio processing gear.

Flying in the face of all conventional wisdom and urban mythology, I do not
have my station equipment, including the 500 MHZ PIII computer, all bussed
to a common "ground" point nor do I have an external "r-f station ground."
I have zero problems at the 100-watt power level on all modes and bands.

The VS35-M schematic - which has to be one of the world's worst ever
drawings! - clearly shows that the negative output terminal is NOT
connected to the chassis. Only the "green wire" of the power plug is shown
as a chassis ground.

The schematic is dated 1987 so changes may have been made since then.

I have used an RS20-M for over 20 years and never had a problem with it. I
have no idea if its negative terminal is connected to the chassis or not.
I'll check and report back.

72/73, George W5YR - the Yellow Rose of Texas QRP-L 1373 NETXQRP 6
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13qe SOC 262
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 56th year and it just keeps getting better!
Icom IC-756PRO #02121  Kachina #91900556  IC-765 #02437