[TenTec] OMNI V 250 cw filter question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI V 250 cw filter question
From: csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu (Clark Savage Turner)
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:52:34 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Tim and Nancy Logan wrote:

> I have an OMNI V with the 250 filter installed and a 500 in the narrow
> the background noise on the 250 filter is raised in pitch quite a bit -
> sort of a roaring sound compared to noise heard when using the 500

This sounds like you have the PBT up center - top.  I find the PBT almost
always goes back to about 10 o'clock or so when using the 6.3 MHz filters
in my Corsair or OMNI, it puts the filter into the right position with
respect to my ears, about 600 Hz or so.

My advice: use the 2.4 filters in CW and find a station, tune it to the
right sound for your ears.  Now select the 250 Hz filter.  (The CW station
may disappear....)  Move the PBT to the left till you find the station
again and adjust it till you like the sound.  I suspect it will be the
right spot for you.  Whenever I go to CW, my PBT goes to the left, every
time. It is necessary for my CW filters to sound right for me.

Clark
WA3JPG