[TenTec] Re: TT vs 756PROII

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: TT vs 756PROII
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 17:33:41 -0500
> monitor! Anybody remember the days when we used audio oscillators that
were
> keyed by rectified r-f from the antenna to give a sidetone?

Sure do! And really it's the best way. There are two rigs I can think of
that actually have a sidetone which represents the RF generated at some
point within the transmitter. Those are the TenTec QRP series rigs and the
FT-1000MP. The MP allows the option of using a typical sidetone or a "cw
monitor". I bought an MP when the first came out and was glad it had the cw
monitor feature because when I keyed up on 30m for the first time, I noticed
my first character was a big whoop. Yaesu said it was a ground loop problem
inside the rig and was corrected on later models.

I suppose the problem with using an old fashion RF monitor on newer rigs
would be with the big delay between actual paddle closure and RF output. I
know it would throw my little brain out of sync. That's the problem I have
with the Omni 6's sidetone. There's enough delay in it to ruin my
concentration at 40wpm. So I guess for high speed work, a fast sidetone is
in order.

Steve Ellington
N4LQ