[TenTec] Orion Aesthetics..Another point of View

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Aesthetics..Another point of View
From: dhhdeh@concentric.net (David Hammond)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 07:43:00 -0500
Hi Everyone,

I also have watched with interest the JPEG's and comments on the appearance
of the Orion.  Really  good observations with which I agree in most part.

IMO Ten Tec has probably decided to introduce the Orion  this way to get
opinions while still  in the prototype phase with time for some revisions
pre-production.

Here are my revision suggestions:

prefer Battleship Gray over Rice Box Black. I like the Rx340 colors as well.
Dump the gold trim Ten Tec, its way too tacky

2. Needs and internal tuner capability even if only as an option. (if the
Jupiter can now receive an optional on-board AT-11 type tuner, I cannot
believe that TT would not do the same in this rig).

3. 150 watts would be nice. High end rig users will expect it these days..

4. Use a color display with bolder frequency digits ala the Pro II or close
too it. That is now the standard of screen displays (although the multiple
wallpaper effects that ICOM uses is mainly foo-foo).  Black display
background with Bold Cyan Italic digits is my preference. I am initially
disappointed in the prototype display of the Orion as shown.

You might be surprised that interest in the Orion has found its way into the
ICOM Reflector with several threads developing on the Orion vs. the Pro II.
The following quote appeared yesterday on the ICOM Reflector  from a
Charlotte Fest Attendee:

"I spoke with the top man at Ten Tec today and while he said the radio and
all the buttons as you see them will be the same. There would be up to three
possible screens that could end up in the Orion, color, amber, or
multi-color like the Pro II. He said they would know later this year. He
said quality control was a big issue and they were working hard to clean
things up."

So the display issue seems not yet to be finalized.  Thus my belief that our
initial reactions are playing into the strategy of  TT's design team. I hope
so.

If  TT can get these issues resolved and the specs live up to the initial
features as described, this rig could be immense. Remember its PRINCIPALLY
(but not entirely) what's inside that counts, though we do have to stare at
the thing a lot hihi. Pretty women don't always make the best wives but they
can make life much more interesting especially in the "choosing phase".

Let's hope Scott and Stan and TT read the reflector comments, take them into
consideration without suffering too much "pride of authorship" in its
initial design of Orion and give them a chance to respond with some tweaking
changes. I for one hope that it becomes an unqualified success.  I am sure
this is a significant business exposure for the company. Let's help them to
succeed with continued constructive commentary.

73 de N1LQ-Dave