[TenTec] Re: Tuners

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Tuners
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 19:58:43 -0500
> The TenTec design approach of designing a Crunch proof 100 watt
> amplifier with at least a 3 to 1 full power capability will make it
> easy to use many antennas over the whole band without tuner and
> without blowing up the radio.

Power foldback is only one small part of the problem caused by a
mismatched load.

CW may be one issue, but we also should be careful when using
loads that are not close to the PA design impedance when
operating SSB. I'd hate to pay for a PA that would have acceptable
IMD performance at 100 watts into a 3:1 SWR at all phase angles
without a tuner! It would be cheaper to build an automatic tuner,
and use a regular PA.

How is IMD performance on SSB into a 17 ohm load? How is it into
a 150 ohm load? I'll bet not very good.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com